manyip

Sun Shadow control Artlantis 5.0 to Artlantis 7.0

Fri 21 Sep 2018 17:29

Hi, I've a question about sun shadow control. I recently upgrade from artlantis 5 to artlanstis 7. In Artlantis 5, I could control the sun shadow from bright day light hard shadow to overcast day light soft shadow by controlling Sun and Sky power under heliodons. However in Artlantis 7, the sun shadow hardness is the same or change slightly regardless the Sun or Sky power control under heliodons.

Attached are two images render in 5.0 and 7.0.
For 5.0, the Sun is set at -70 and Sky is set at +25.
For 7.0, the Sun is set at -99 and Sky is set at +81.

To conclude my question. Is there any way to control shadow hardness in Artlandtis 7 under different sky condition. shadow darkness / softness / HDR control? From clear sky to overcast cloudy sky. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Attachments
6.jpg
6.jpg (580.93 KiB) Viewed 32857 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (2.83 MiB) Viewed 32857 times

kgriffith

Re: Sun Shadow control Artlantis 5.0 to Artlantis 7.0

Mon 24 Sep 2018 11:37

I believe the only way to do what you are looking for is to use HDRI for lighting. Since Artlantis 6, when the change was made to the physical engine, you can no longer produce soft shadows any other way. A bit ironic as the new physical engine is supposed to be more accurate, but you can no longer get realistic lighting other than for bright sun conditions...

While HDRI is not a bad option, one of the strengths of Artlantis is the ability to use actual context photos for your background, which you can't do if you use HDRI (well, you can if you make your own HDRI image, but I figure that would take me far longer than the actual rendering work in Artlantis...)

CamilleSarrut

Tue 25 Sep 2018 10:55

Hello,

Since version 6 we are using a physical engine, this is why we have removed some of the heliodon controls.
It is difficult to see the difference in sun shadows in both images as the heliodon are not set to the same position.

Could you render an image in V5 and V7 with the same heliodon position, this way the shadows will be shown at the same position and we will be able to see the difference.

Also please name the images with the Artlantis version used to render it...

Best regards,
Camille Sarrut
Abvent R&D

kgriffith

Fri 28 Sep 2018 10:40

Does Abvent hope to eventually restore some of the lost controls, in some fashion, or is the current state of heliodon controls considered the final state? Thinking specifically about soft shadows, atmospheric effects, etc.

kgriffith

Tue 2 Oct 2018 16:17

OK, I guess no answer is an answer - this is not something to look for anytime soon.

So, as a workaround, is there any way to use HDRI images for lighting only, and still use a background image for context? Right now I believe they are mutually exclusive.

CamilleSarrut

Fri 26 Oct 2018 17:30

Sorry I did not see your last post earlier...
No we will not change the heliodon settings.
and no it is not possible to have HDRI for lighting and another image for background... they are mutually exclusive. sorry...
Camille Sarrut
Abvent R&D

Portymixer

Mon 5 Nov 2018 05:07

kgriffith wrote:I believe the only way to do what you are looking for is to use HDRI for lighting. Since Artlantis 6, when the change was made to the physical engine, you can no longer produce soft shadows any other way. A bit ironic as the new physical engine is supposed to be more accurate, but you can no longer get realistic lighting other than for bright sun conditions...

While HDRI is not a bad option, one of the strengths of Artlantis is the ability to use actual context photos for your background, which you can't do if you use HDRI (well, you can if you make your own HDRI image, but I figure that would take me far longer than the actual rendering work in Artlantis...)

I have used light planes as light source this can produce soft shadows and the softness can vary according to the size of the plane.

kgriffith

Mon 5 Nov 2018 16:53

I have used light planes as light source this can produce soft shadows and the softness can vary according to the size of the plane.[/quote]

Thanks for the idea. I will try it.

kgriffith

Mon 5 Nov 2018 17:00

CamilleSarrut wrote:Sorry I did not see your last post earlier...
No we will not change the heliodon settings.
and no it is not possible to have HDRI for lighting and another image for background... they are mutually exclusive. sorry...

Thank you for the response. I would like to emphasize that I think Artlantis is a terrific program, enabling me to quickly create renders of my architectural models, and even more, allowing for site insertion into context photos. But it looks like if my context photo is not taken on a bright, sunny day, I'll have to use light planes for the sun.

I have been using Artlantis since version 4, and upgrading immediately as each new version comes out. But since Version 6, I am not sure if I gained anything with the upgrades, and I do know I have lost some features. I have no wish to use another software, but I am thinking of just going back to Version 5...

ccanzas@gmail.com

Sat 8 Dec 2018 03:53

I just upgraded from 5 to Atlantis 2019 because I had to do in order to transfer model form ArchiCad. And I agree with kgriffith. I can not understand why is there no more shade control and sun/sky color control as well! Now renderings are taking forever to do. Im very disappointed that i had upgrade Atlantis because you dont have any control over it. I had accomplished high level of producing rendering with quick and easy meaner and now it feels like a I am staring from beginning. Not helping at all.

Return to “Shaders & Textures”