fujitasummers

Adjusting a material applied to an object

Wed 18 Jul 2018 08:40

How can i adjust the position and (non uniform) scale of a material on an object? In Cinema I'd just grab the origin of the texture and move it or scale it: is that possible here? I seem only to be able to move the object, not the material applied to it?
I'm under 10hrs of program use and until this point it has been very intuitive, but this is driving me mad!
many thanks!

fujitasummers

Re: Adjusting a material applied to an object

Wed 18 Jul 2018 12:41

UPDATE:

Assigning UVW Coordinated to the object before syncing sorts the problem, however, it would be good to know if i can shift materials across an object within TM itself. The older version documentation seems to suggest you can?

Tianxiao

Wed 18 Jul 2018 13:04

fujitasummers wrote:How can i adjust the position and (non uniform) scale of a material on an object? In Cinema I'd just grab the origin of the texture and move it or scale it: is that possible here? I seem only to be able to move the object, not the material applied to it?
I'm under 10hrs of program use and until this point it has been very intuitive, but this is driving me mad!
many thanks!

Hi fujitasummers,

Did you try the option "Move X / Y" under the Material settings > Scale, which allows you to adjust the material position in X and Y axis?

To get access to this option, first use the Material picker to select a material, the settings related to the selected material will appear in the Dock panel. Click on the "More" button under the Scale option, you'll then have the possibility to move the texture on X / Y axis, Rotate it or add animation to it on X / Y axis.

Take a look at this tutorial: https://youtu.be/IT7lmeNn8o8

Let me know if it helps !

Best,
Tianxiao
Tianxiao WANG // Community Manager at Abvent
Artlantis |Twinmotion | Facebook | Twitter | Tutorial

fujitasummers

Mon 13 Aug 2018 06:06

hey - sorry i didn't have alerts on replies for this post. Thanks for the reply...

And of course, there it is: the More option under scale must have been the only More button i didn't try during my test period...!

Although: Scale is a misleading title for that function. Maybe Position or Adjust or something would make more sense?

Tianxiao

Mon 13 Aug 2018 09:46

fujitasummers wrote:hey - sorry i didn't have alerts on replies for this post. Thanks for the reply...

And of course, there it is: the More option under scale must have been the only More button i didn't try during my test period...!

Although: Scale is a misleading title for that function. Maybe Position or Adjust or something would make more sense?

Hi Fujitasummers,
Thanks for your feedback and I forward your advice to the development team :)
Best,
Tianxiao

jc4d

Fri 28 Sep 2018 06:39

Hi all,

I do agree with fujitasummers, I also come from C4D and here in Twinmotion the texture coordinates are not very clear. I do miss the non-uniform texture scale, one for X and another for Y as well.

Since inside Scale there is rotation and position which are not related with Scale at allI would suggest to rename the Scale tab to Coordinates and there the sub-elements are Position, Scale, Rotation, and Misc. Under Position we have Position X and Position Y values, under Scale we have Size X and Size Y values, under Rotation we have the degrees rotation and finally under Misc we would have Speed X and Speed Y. Additionally, all this values are visible at once to avoid so many clicks while adjusting them.

If the team is ok and open to suggestions I wouldn't mind to make a fast UI mockup.

Cheers,
Juan

Tianxiao

Fri 5 Oct 2018 15:38

jc4d wrote:Hi all,

I do agree with fujitasummers, I also come from C4D and here in Twinmotion the texture coordinates are not very clear. I do miss the non-uniform texture scale, one for X and another for Y as well.

Since inside Scale there is rotation and position which are not related with Scale at allI would suggest to rename the Scale tab to Coordinates and there the sub-elements are Position, Scale, Rotation, and Misc. Under Position we have Position X and Position Y values, under Scale we have Size X and Size Y values, under Rotation we have the degrees rotation and finally under Misc we would have Speed X and Speed Y. Additionally, all this values are visible at once to avoid so many clicks while adjusting them.

If the team is ok and open to suggestions I wouldn't mind to make a fast UI mockup.

Cheers,
Juan

Hi Juan,

Thanks for your suggestions and it's not a bad idea at all.
It would be helpful to have a UI mockup of your idea and I'll make sure to present it to our graphics design team.

Thanks!
Best,
Tianxiao

Return to “I need help”